Sunday 30 March 2014

Char Siew baos (Chinese pork buns)


If I ever wanted to impress friends about how easy the Thermomix makes Asian cooking, all I would do was whip up a batch of Char Siew baos.  Once the Varoma had finished steaming them, I would life the lid, display fluffy Char Siew baos and then laugh at the impressed and surprised looks on the faces around me.  The thermomix makes the dough and filling preparation so quick... and I hardly ever have left ever baos for lunch the next day!
______________
Makes approximately 24 Char Siew baos


Filling Ingredients
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 30g oil
- 350g Char Siew (my recipe found here) diced into small pieces
- 30g water or sauce from the Char Siew
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs oyster sauce
- 1 tbs cornflour
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Coriander and spring onion (optional)

Filling Method
- Place onion and garlic into TM bowl and chop for 3 seconds on speed 6
- Add oil and saute for 3 minutes on Varoma temperature, speed 1
- Add remaining ingredients and cook for 8 minutes on Varoma temperature, reverse speed 1.5
- Empty ingredients into another bowl and set aside to cool

Dough Ingredients
- 600g ultra white flour*
- 300g warm water
- 2 tsp yeast 
- 100g sugar
- 30g rice bran oil
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 24 pieces of baking paper cut into 10cm x 10cm squares
*Ultra white flour can be purchased at any Chinese shop.  You can use plain flour but it will give the dough a slightly yellow appearance.  Char Siew baos are famous for its white fluffy skins which is why ultra white flour is used

Dough Method
- Place all ingredients into TM bowl and mix together on speed 5 for 10 seconds 
- Knead for for 2 minutes with the dial set to closed lid position on interval speed 
- Let the dough rest until it doubles in size

Assembly method
- Divide dough into 24 portions
 - Roll each portion into circles
- Place the filling into each portion, folding it like a Char Siew bao and place finished bao onto a piece of baking paper
- Place baos into the Varoma.  Add 1500g hot water into the TM bowl and steam for 15 minutes on Varoma temperature, speed 4. (cook 12-15 first, then refill hot water to 1500g, then steam the rest)
- Place cooked baos on a wire rack to help it cool down... if you can wait till they cool down before you eat them!

6 comments:

These look so good! Do you think it would work with gluten free flour?

Hi Angela, I am not sure if gluten free flour will work. I have not tried it before. Maybe you can try with a quarter of the recipe first and see how it goes.

These look great - I love bao.
Do you think that these would freeze well? Would you freeze before cooking, and just add extra steaming time?

Hi Sally - I always recommend cooking the baos on the day you make them. You can then freeze them and when you want to eat them again, just steam them and they will still be soft, fluffy and delicious! Please let me know how you go.

The dough was great. I made up my own filling recipe based on the ingredients I had, but the dough was perfect. Nice and fluffy.

The dough was delicious. I made my own filling with leftover pork roast and Asian spices.

Post a Comment