Thursday 3 April 2014

Spring onion pancakes (Chinese scallion pancakes)


I bet most of you read this post's title with a confused look on your face!  Spring onion pancakes is a savoury dish and to me, the ultimate comfort food.  It's chewy, flaky and just more-ish!  When I make this for my family I honestly cannot keep up with them as they just fly off the plate.  You can eat this by itself as a tasty snack, with a dipping sauce of your choosing or even to compliment a curry.
___________________________________ 

Makes approximately 6 large pancakes 

Dough ingredients
- 400g plain flour
- 230g water

Dough method
- Place ingredients into TM bowl and mix on speed 5 for 10 seconds
- Knead for one minute with the dial set to closed lid position on interval speed 
- Let the dough rest for half an hour while covered

Note: If you have left over dough from making dumplings (recipe found here), you can use it for the spring onions pancake.

Topping ingredients
- Salt (I use pink Himalayan pink salt from Costco)
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- Rice bran oil

Assembly method
- Cut the dough into six pieces (or more or less depending on how big you want your pancakes or how big your pan is)
- Roll the dough out as thin as possible, brush a bit of oil onto the dough, sprinkle some salt and spring onions.  This is a salty pancake so ensure most of the surface has some salt on it.
- Roll it up as a tube and into a spiral and flatten it into a thin pancake
- Roll the spiral again according to the size of your pan (I do mine to about 20cm in diameter).  Doing this ensures there are lots of flaky layers to your pancake.  There may be holes in your pancake but that is perfectly normal
- Add 1-2tsp of oil onto the frying pan ( low heat- mid heat depending on your stove) the fry until golden brown.  Flip it over to cook the other side.
- Place the pancake onto the paper towel and cut the pancake into bite size pieces or tear it with your fingers.

Serve hot... but I promise you it won't last long on the plate!

5 comments:

I made these last night - they are fantastic. Thanks for the recipe.

-Sally

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed them, Sally.

I'm going to try to make these with spelt or GF flour, as then they'll be FODMAP-friendly. Will let you know how I go! :-)

Yes - I'd love to hear how you went! Thanks

Thank you! Just made them, so easy and yum!

Post a Comment